Improving the Family Area at Grey Hospital
Canterbury District Health Board has used Dry July funds towards improving the family area in the chemotherapy treatment ward at Grey Hospital. Purchased items include:
- La-z-boy chair for waiting family members
- Coffee machine and pods
- Microwave oven
- Newspaper subscription
- Display stand
- 4x iPad Air 2 tablets for patients and waiting family members
- 4x Panasonic headphones for iPads
- 4x Chambray covers for iPads
Help for Nelson Cancer Patients
Dry July funds have been used towards supporting the Chemotherapy Suite and Whanau kitchen for the Nelson Oncology Service, through the installation of:
- Sienna Vinyl Couch
- Dishwasher - Single dish draw
All of which is aimed at making patients at Canterbury DHB a little more comfortable.
Improving Access To Information
Auckland District Health Board will use Dry July 2015 donations towards development of a range of cancer pathway-specific information including pamphlets, posters and online materials to empower cancer patients. Consumers will be involved in the development of these materials which will also be translated into different languages to increase understanding of and access to services.
Although a good deal of information is already available for patients, it is primarily in very clinical language. The aim of this project is to speak to cancer patients in layman’s terms and inform them of important options available to them during their treatment.
Transport Services for Cancer Patients
The Cancer Society of New Zealand will use funds raised by Dry July 2015 towards the provision of patient transport services by CSNZ divisions across the country.
Making a Difference to Canterbury Patients
Canterbury DHB is using Dry July funds to make patients at Christchurch Hospital a little more comfortable. Projects in the pipeline include:
- Exercise treadmills and bicycles for the bone marrow transplant unit family room
- Patient information system in the radiotherapy waiting area
- Maori and Pasifika artwork and magazines for Christchurch Hospital oncology ward
- iPod Touch for young adult radiotherapy patients
- Video walkthrough of the radiotherapy department to help patients to feel less anxious about their initial visits for treatment