Health > Top Tips for Detoxing
Top Tips for Detoxing
The goal of detoxing is to cleanse the body of toxins however the truth is our body is detoxing all the time, via our skin, liver, kidneys and bowel. Even if you’re very health conscious, detoxifying once in a while is still important to give your body a rest from chemicals.
While abstaining from alcohol during Dry July, try not to overdo it on other stimulants. Why not try a complete detox and cut back or cut out altogether things like caffeine, cigarettes and sugar and give yourself the best possible chance of a healthy July!
Some dos and don’ts when detoxing:
- A slow approach is advised and more likely to result in a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix.
- Don’t starve yourself – being hungry simply makes the experience unpleasant and less likely to be repeated in the future
- Cut out ‘junk’ – you know what that means! Especially when cutting out alcohol during Dry July as you may be tempted to reach for the sweet stuff
- Cut out cigarettes
- Practise deep breathing exercises
- Drink 2 litres of water each day – preferably filtered
- Steer clear of caffeine (coffee, tea, green tea and chocolate)
- Try herbal teas, dandelion is a great for detoxing
- Eat whole, fresh foods and avoid refined and processed foodstuffs
- Take some gentle exercise every day – try tai chi, yoga, Pilates, stretching, swimming or walking.
Written by Mel Ingram
(If you have any concerns check with your GP.)